Re: Various problems seen in RC1 (was: Re: tmux(1) in base)

From: Gonzalo Nemmi <gnemmi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 20:32:01 -0300
On 9/22/09, Mark Linimon <linimon_at_lonesome.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 02:42:49PM -0300, Gonzalo Nemmi wrote:
>> I actually never opened a PR about atapicam because (as you can see) I
>> sent as much info as I had at that time and nobody seemed to care, so
>> I thought maybe that was something you guys knew and were working on,
>
> There are a tremendous number of bugs reported, both on the mailing lists
> and through GNATS: far more than our team of developers can handle.
>
> Assuming that "nobobdy seems to care" is a mis-assumption.  It may mean
> that, or it may mean that nobody who was in a position to work on it
> that day saw it, or that if they were, they already had too many other
> things to work on.

Sorry about that sir. I never meant it that way, I understand
resources are limited and I hope you can understand I never meant to
imply "nobobdy seems to care" actually meant "absolutely nobody". What
I meant to say was "I did make my finding public but got no answers,
or questions about it" and since I don't know what are devels working
on in a given point in time, it was impossible for me tell for sure
whether somebody saw it or not, or cared about it or not. All I could
do was make it public, and that's all I did.

>> and although I did file the proper PR, there's still no word about it,
>> so I though maybe opening another PR about atapicam made no sense.
>
> The mailing list traffic is so huge that people can't possibly keep copies
> of everything around.  That's why we have the PR database in the first
> place :-)

Will use it more often then =D

> Now, I understand more than most that filing a PR doesn't necessarily
> guarantee any kind of response, but it really becomes a self-fulfilling
> prophecy if people don't do so.  Since ~50 PRs arrive a day, and there are
> also bugs arriving on the mailing list, there's just no way to remember
> them all -- other than having them in some kind of searchable form.
>
> (As an aside, we've actually gotten better at helping users with PRs as
> they are filed in the past year.  We are still working on ideas to get
> more commits out of the PRs that are analyzed, have patches, and so forth.)

Roger that sir!
Will submitt PRs more often then.
Thank you for taking the time off to let me know all this things

Best Regards
Gonzalo Nemmi