Re: Various problems seen in RC1 (was: Re: tmux(1) in base)

From: Robert Noland <rnoland_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 18:53:06 -0500
On Tue, 2009-09-22 at 20:32 -0300, Gonzalo Nemmi wrote:
> Sorry about that sir. I never meant it that way, I understand
> resources are limited and I hope you can understand I never meant to
> imply "nobobdy seems to care" actually meant "absolutely nobody". What
> I meant to say was "I did make my finding public but got no answers,
> or questions about it" and since I don't know what are devels working
> on in a given point in time, it was impossible for me tell for sure
> whether somebody saw it or not, or cared about it or not. All I could
> do was make it public, and that's all I did.

I think that you can reasonably expect that most devs will respond to
your email within a reasonable period of time if they are in a position
to work your issue.  If enough information is provided in the original
mail to look into the issue I usually will try and respond with a patch
if I can, otherwise usually you can expect queries for additional
information or debugging patches.  But in any case silence usually means
that issue didn't make it into anyones queue to work on and likely was
forgotten.  I tend to average around 500 emails a day, so I'm sure that
you can imagine how things could get dropped...  Filing a PR is no
guarantee that the issue won't get dropped either, but at least it is
recorded somewhere in a searchable / trackable form.  An occasional ping
to the mailing list asking about a PR can also often revive a topic.

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rnoland_at_FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD