Re: mge, mii/e1000phy

From: Kristof Provost <kristof_at_sigsegv.be>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 22:55:35 +0200
On 2009-09-23 13:24:48 (-0700), Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm pretty sure the device id for 88E1116 PHY is 0x21. Do you see
> printed model number 88E1118 on your hardware? If so I have no idea
> why Marvell use the same device id. Do you have access to 88E1118
> HY data sheet?

I've just double checked. The documentation from TS claims it's an
88E1118 and that's what I see on the chip itself as well.
I don't have access to the data sheet, that would make this exercise far
too easy.

> I wanted to know advertised PHY capabilities as mge(4) explicitly
> disabled 1000baseT/half-duplex mode in driver layer. But MV88F5182
> data sheet said it supports 1000baseT/half-duplex mode.

I'll try to find out tomorrow. I'm not sure if it'll matter though, as
the switch I'm using right now is a 10/100 model.

> > > I'm not author of mge(4) so I'm not familiar with mge(4). But it
> > > seems that mge(4) lacks link state change handler. Normally NICs
> > > are required to reprogram MAC to match resolved speed/duplex/
> > > flow-control of link when it know it established a valid link which
> > > is notified from mii(4).
> > >
> > If that's the case I'd expect the driver not to work on my Sheevaplug
> > either. The only difference I see is the PHY.
> >

> Could be, but if you manually set media it reinitializes PHY and it
> will call mge_ifmedia_upd() which in turn reinitializes the
> controller. I guess this is workaround in mge(4).

Do you mean setting the media through an ioctl by 'manually set media'?
If so, that doesn't really apply for either the TS-7800 or the
Sheevaplug as both need the network to work before userspace can do
anything.

Kristof