Superpages and VMware ESXi 3.5u4 crashes

From: Peter Kieser <peter_at_wingless.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 00:30:22 -0700
Hello,

FreeBSD 8.0-RC1 on VMware ESXi 3.5u4, under moderate load (I was
building mysql51-server & apache20 at the same time) the VMware ESXI
_host_ system will crash with superpages enabled in a FreeBSD guest.
Reproducible.

If I disable superpages with vm.pmap.pg_ps_enabled option FreeBSD guest
will not be able to crash the host system.

Trying to figure out of this bug in VMware or a problem with my
hardware. Host machine was up for 30 days without crashing prior to
trying out 8.0.

Has anyone else had problems with superpages implementation in FreeBSD
crashing VMware ESXi 3.5? Seems like a bug in VMware and I'd like to
report ..

-Peter