Re: Three cheers for the status quo, enough now? (was: Re: tmux(1) in base)

From: Bakul Shah <bakul_at_bitblocks.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 00:47:20 -0700
On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 00:37:25 BST Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>  wrote:

> The current blend of components is largely historical, modeling the mix found
> in BSD UNIX, and strikes a hard-to-characterize balance between the logical
> extremes "we ship a minimally bootstrapping system" and "we ship every
> application under the sun".  This means for most parts of the base system
> there will be someone who argues it belongs there, and someone who argues that
> it doesn't.

What would be nice is if the install CDs came with a small
number of "profiles" (mini, midi & maxi) and made it easy to
pick a profile and install/upgrade to the system described in
it.  Nicer still would be if there was a way to create custom
profiles for specific purposes. Then you have an easy way to
clone the same setup to multiple machines. [Not that it would
stop such arguments....] I am sure we have been here before!