Three cheers for the status quo, enough now? (was: Re: tmux(1) in base)

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 00:37:25 +0100 (BST)
Dear all:

I think we've now more than adequately demonstrated the importance of not
e-mailing large mailing lists suggesting changes to the status quo when it
comes to adding/removing programs from the base without a really compelling
reason.

The current blend of components is largely historical, modeling the mix found
in BSD UNIX, and strikes a hard-to-characterize balance between the logical
extremes "we ship a minimally bootstrapping system" and "we ship every
application under the sun".  This means for most parts of the base system
there will be someone who argues it belongs there, and someone who argues that
it doesn't.

Change proposals along the lines of "Should we add tmux" and "Should we remove
BIND" are therefore necessarily controversial, and often end up mired in
exactly this sort of endless and unproductive e-mail discussion.  This is one
of the most important reasons not to propose them.  The moral is clear, and
this thread has done nothing to speed the testing, debugging, and release of
FreeBSD 8.0.

Let's get back to that and maybe let sleeping dogs lie?

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge