Re: No DHCP lease with iwi(4)/wlan(4); works with an(4) at r197399

From: David Wolfskill <david_at_catwhisker.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 09:24:03 -0700
On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 12:08:10AM +0200, Paul B. Mahol wrote:
> On 9/23/09, David Wolfskill <david_at_catwhisker.org> wrote:
> > I normally use wireless NICs on my laptop, especially at home,  I
> > swapped the miniPCI wi(4) for an iwi(4) a few weeks ago, and had it
> > working in stable/6, stable/7, and head until a few days ago, when it
> > seemed that the NIC was associating OK, but dhclient(8) reports:
> > [no DHCP offers received...]
> >
> > This morning, I had the time to try plugging in a wireless PCcard (an0)
> > NIC; after doing that, I see:
> > [DHCP offer received & accepted]
> >
> > I realize that an(4) doesn't use wlan(4), so this could indicate a
> > problem with either iwi(4) or wlan(4) -- but it seems to show that
> > dhclient(8) itself is working, as is the basic infrastructure (my
> > DHCP server; the access point; the ipfw(4) rules I have in place
> > before & after DHCP activity).
> >
> > As I type, I'm running:
> >
> > FreeBSD g1-37.catwhisker.org 9.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT #1123 r197399:
> > Tue Sep 22 06:16:11 PDT 2009     root_at_:/common/S4/obj/usr/src/sys/CANARY
> > i386
> >
> > and am in the process of building head at r197427.
> >
> > Is there something I might do to help diagnose what's wrong here?
>
> wlandebug(8)
>
> and also enable iwi debug sysctl.
>
> (Try to enable only few of them at same time, otherwise anabling
> everything will cause huge chaos on console)

wlandebug(8) didn't seem to generate much (if anything) -- perhaps iwi(4)
qualifies as a device that "implement[s] parts of the 802.11 protocol in
firmware", given that it's necessary to load a bunch of firmware to use
it.  And I haven't yet had a chance to explore the iwi sysctl OIDs.

But I did find one rather curious thing:  I was able to get the
iwi(4) to work OK (while running head) with one of my access points;
it's the other that seems to have an issue with iwi(4) under head.

I have 2 different access points at home:
* An original Apple Airport
* A Linksys WAP-11.
(Each is, within the bounds of their rather different natures,
configured the same except for channel: One is on channel 1; the other
is on channel 6.  Neither is a DHCP server: each merely passes the DHCP
traffic.)

Under stable/6 and stable/7, each works fine with iwi(4).

Under head (presently at r197479), the Linksys WAP-11 works (associates
& dhclient(8) negotiates a DHCP lease using iwi(4)/wlan(4)).

Under head, the Apple Airport associates, but dhclient(8) cannot see a
DHCP offer via iwi(4)/wlan(4).

I have a 3rd access point for occasional use; I could see what happens
with it, but I wasn't eager to confuse things further.

Peace,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill				david_at_catwhisker.org
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.