Re: When will we can use ZFS v24?

From: Dan Nelson <dnelson_at_allantgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 12:33:34 -0500
In the last episode (Apr 07), krad said:
> On 7 April 2010 05:38, Freddie Cash <fjwcash_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 9:35 PM, lhmwzy <lhmwzy_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > > What's your mean??
> >
> > See the archives for the freebsd-fs mailing list.  There are two
> > separate groups working on getting ZFSv22 added to FreeBSD 9-CURRENT.
> > And there's work ongoing to get ZFSv15 added to FreeBSD 8-STABLE.
> >
> > IOW, just be patient.  Good things will come to those who wait.  ;)
>
> If you re hankering for dedup you better have a big box as its a complete
> resource hog.  From what we have seen on our x4500 filers we need about
> 100gig of ram or l2arc ssd to hold the all the metadata for the 34TB of
> storage, otherwise the system grinds to a halt.

I wish they had an option for "opportunistic" dedup, where if a block is
already in ARC it can be a dedupe candidate, but it won't look it up in the
DDT if it isn't already in memory.  That catches the simple "cp -R dir1
dir2" cases without blowing up the ARC on DDT blocks that 99.9999% of the
time don't match.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson_at_allantgroup.com