Re: [RFC] Rewriting sade(8)

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 15:53:09 +0200
Quoting Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no> (from Thu, 08 Apr 2010
14:01:33 +0200):

> Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net> writes:
>> I think this is more complicated than to refactor the interesting part
>> into a backend with an API which both tools can use. This would also
>> allow someone to write a GUI program (e.g. for PC-BSD).
>
> There have been at least three or four attempts to do this in the past.
> One of them was even fully funded by the FreeBSD Foundation.  They all
> failed.

I was told a lot of people tried to make the WITH_CTF part working
without the need to use -DWITH_CTF each time at the command line and
failed. Nevertless I did it. So telling something is not possible
because other people tried and failed is ridiculous. If there is no
proof that it can not be done, I'm sure someone exists who is able to
do it.

I stand by my words and still say that it is less complicated to put
the logic into a backend-lib. If Andrey has problems to do this, I'm
willing to invest some time to mentor him in this regard.

BTW: I do not think you talk about a partition editor, but about the
complete sysinstall. This is a different beast than only the part
which I outlined above. Andrey has already some working stuff which
just needs to be refactored into frontend/backend-lib parts.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
UNIX is many things to many people,
but it's never been everything to anybody.

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander _at_ Leidinger.net: PGP ID = B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild _at_ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID = 72077137