Re: [RFC] Rewriting sade(8)

From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 16:15:27 +0200
Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net> writes:
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no> writes:
> > There have been at least three or four attempts to do this in the
> > past.  One of them was even fully funded by the FreeBSD Foundation.
> > They all failed.
> I was told a lot of people tried to make the WITH_CTF part working
> without the need to use -DWITH_CTF each time at the command line and
> failed. Nevertless I did it. So telling something is not possible
> because other people tried and failed is ridiculous.

It's not ridiculous, it's experience.  *Painful* experience over a
period of nearly 15 years.

> BTW: I do not think you talk about a partition editor, but about the
> complete sysinstall.

Yes and no.  I'm talking about making the user interface pluggable,
i.e. run the same program (whether sysinstall or sade) with, say, an
ncurses interface on the console and a gtk interface in X.

Debian's package system does this, to a certain extent, but only for
very simple configuration questions - about the same level of
functionality that you get with an HTML form.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des_at_des.no