Re: [CFT]: ClangBSD is selfhosting, we need testers now

From: Sergey Vinogradov <boogie_at_lazybytes.org>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 17:55:19 +0400
  On 16.04.2010 20:08, Roman Divacky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ClangBSD is a branch of FreeBSD that aims at integrating clang (clang.llvm.org)
> into FreeBSD, replacing GCC as a system compiler.
>
> Recently, we've achieved the state when clang can compile all of FreeBSD world
> on i386/amd64 platforms (including all the C++ apps we have and itself)
> and a bootable kernel. Thus we feel that the time has come to ask the FreeBSD
> community for wider testing on i386/amd64 (you sure can help with other
> platforms too :)).
>
> How to setup ClangBSD:
>
> The default configuration of ClangBSD requires clang installed so you can
> either install fresh llvm-devel port (portinstall devel/llvm-devel) or change
> CC to "gcc" and CXX to "g++" in share/mk/sys.mk. I recommend the former.
>

> 	svn co http://svn.freebsd.org/base/projects/clangbsd/ clangbsd
>
> 	cd clangbsd&&  make buildworld
>
> 	echo NO_WERROR=>>  /etc/make.conf
> 	echo WERROR=>>  /etc/make.conf
>
> 	make DESTDIR=/clangbsd-chroot/ installworld
>

> now you have ClangBSD world installed and you can chroot into it. I don't
> recommend installing ClangBSD into real root as it is not tested enough.
>
> You can also start using clang compiled kernel - either build the kernel in
> the ClangBSD chroot (set NO_WERROR=yo and WERROR=yo in /etc/src.conf) or set
> CC to clang and build kernel the normal way.
>
> This information (and more) is also provided on:
>
> 	http://wiki.freebsd.org/BuildingFreeBSDWithClang
>
> We kindly ask you to setup ClangBSD chroot and/or use clang compiled kernel and
> use it as you would normally use FreeBSD. Please report back
>
> Thank you,
>
>     Roman Divacky on behalf of the ClangBSD team

`make -j8 -DNO_WERROR -DWERROR buildworld` went perfectly with
CPUTYPE?=k8 in the host system (BTW, does it affect something in case of
building ClangBSD?). I've installed it in a jail, and it runs already.
The first thing I've noticed is make(1) segfaulting even without target
(I think that was already reported in this thread). However, tcsh(1),
ps(1), top(1) and ftp(1) run smoothly :) I'll take a closer look at it a
little bit later.
Anyway, much kudos to all the ClangBSD Team, you've done a really great job!

--

wbr,
Boo