Re: ZFS Stability & MySQL (Comments Requested)

From: Mickaël Maillot <mickael.maillot_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 18:50:09 +0200
i have two freebsd running MySQL 5.1 on ZFS:
- first: a 7-STABLE build (7.2, 2 month after zfs v13 import)
the machine crash recently after a 130 day uptime beceause i dont
limit arc size (so 4Gb by default) and i think they run oom.
even with vfs.zfs.cache_flush_disable=1, no data loose, innodb redo
the log and the mysql is fine.
- second: a 8-STABLE
FreeBSD db4.security-mail.net 8.0-STABLE FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE #2: Mon
Apr 19 12:48:20 CEST 2010
root_at_db4.security-mail.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64)
updated recently, no problem at all.

i follow all opensolaris databases recommendation but there is some
diff between freebsd and osol.
like primarycache=metadata

we have a realy big table (~ 1,5 To) in innodb split with mysql
partition (compress ration ~ x2) and it's works pretty well.

i would recommend you to wait 8.1 to have all recent zfs enhancement
for prod unless you follow all mailing list and commit.