[BETA testing] USB 3.0 Super Speed support in FreeBSD

From: Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky_at_c2i.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 21:43:59 +0200
Hi,

During the last two weeks I've been working hard to get USB 3.0 support added
to the FreeBSD 8+ USB stack. There are a couple of issues left, but right now
the code is in a state were enumeration of USB devices is possible and there
are no dirty hacks :-)

The XHCI chip, which is the PCI interface for USB 3.0, is a replacement for
OHCI/UHCI/EHCI and can also drive USB Super Speed (4.8 Gbps). I expect there
to be a througput and performance increase when switching over to the XHCI
interface also for 2.0 compatible devices, because it has a better data
queuing mechanism.

Currently all code has been committed to the USB P4 project at FreeBSD.org.
You need to copy all files under sys/dev/usb + sys/modules/usb/xhci into 8-
stable for example, and then build a new kernel. You need to manually to cd
into sys/modules/usb/xhci and type make all install after you built the
kernel.

Reference:
http://p4db.freebsd.org/changeList.cgi?FSPC=%2F%2Fdepot%2Fprojects%2Fusb%2Fsrc%2F...&USERS=hselasky&ignore=GO!

Comments are welcome!