Re: Runaway intr, not flash related

From: b. f. <bf1783_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 16:54:14 +0000
>My "runaway intr" problem with flash has been continuing all along, but
>since no one has been interested in helping with it I haven't reported
>it for a while. However, today, for the first time, it happened when I
>had not run flash at all since I booted.
>
>My system:
>Dell D620, C2D, i386, SMP, r210908
>
>swi4: clock is the culprit again this time, but when flash triggers this
>problem I sometimes see hdac as the culprit, FYI.

I wouldn't say that no one is interested in helping.  (And I think
you've received a few more suggestions than your other recent message
to freebsd-developers suggests.)  For my part, I find it a bit
difficult to track the status of your interrupt problem, and the
interactivity problem, which may or may not be related.

--Have you ruled out any contribution from overheating, like I think
you were experiencing before with this machine?  At one point, you
were following some of mav_at_'s suggestions for power-saving, but then
you posted a configuration that suggested that you had abandoned some
of these settings and returned to the defaults.  So are you running
hot, or being throttled now?  Have you tried running at a kern.hz <
1000, with throttling disabled, to see if that ameliorates the
problem?

--What graphics driver are you using?  You were using
x11/nvidia-driver, but then after the kib_at_ and alc_at_'s vm changes that
led to problems with that driver, I thought you were using
x11-drivers/xf86-video-nv -- is that still the case?  Does switching
drivers seem to influence the frequency or severity of the problems?

--When do you experience these problems?  Do they ever occur when you
are _not_ running X?  Have you tried temporarily disabling your usb
and network devices, to see if they are contributing to the problem?
Are you able to watch flash videos from local media, as opposed to
those from a remote site, without problems?

--Did you follow mav_at_'s suggestion to use something other than your
hpet for the eventcounter and timecounter?  The possible use of the
hpet is one of the main differences between the new and old timing
code, and you reported some problems with your hpet earlier.

--Did you follow attilio_at_'s suggestion to obtain scheduling traces for
the interactivity problem, as described in
src/tools/sched/schedgraph.py?

b.