Re: Official request: Please make GNU grep the default

From: Gabor Kovesdan <gabor_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 22:56:30 +0200
Em 2010.08.15. 21:07, Dag-Erling Smørgrav escreveu:
> Ignore the first two lines (that's the profiling code itself).  Note
> that the top five lines are all in stdio, and nothing else even shows up
> on the radar.  I only included enough output to show where the regexp
> code ranks; the complete output is attached.
>
> I hate to suggest reinventing the wheel, but IMHO, this is clearly a
> case where it would pay to use hand-rolled buffered input routines
> instead of stdio.

Thank you very much for the valuable tests, I've already started to
refactor this part but it will take some time and still it doesn't
garantize that the performance will be the same as GNU's with this
change. It may need more investigation, so I'm also already testing my
patch to change the default and we'll see how the performance
improvement progresses.

Gabor