Re: Removal of ICC (intel compiler) bits from mk

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 09:01:28 +0200
Quoting Gabor Kovesdan <gabor_at_FreeBSD.org> (from Wed, 18 Aug 2010
19:56:01 +0200):

>  Em 2010.08.18. 19:37, Rui Paulo escreveu:

>>>    Later versions of icc are more gcc compliant aren't they? If so,
>>> wouldn't this also be a non-issue to remove the bits, or are there
>>> still some incompatibilities between gcc and icc that are worth
>>> noting?
>> I really don't know how compatible is the latest icc because no one
>> ever updated the ports version. This is actually a hint that no one
>> really uses this anymore.
> IIRC, apart from the low interest, the problem was that because of
> ICC's license using ICC to test this mk stuff requires a commercial
> license because somehow it is considered a derivative work. It has

If we wanted to ship binaries, we would have to compile them with the
commercial license.

> also prevented us from providing better support. In 2006, I wanted
> to do some progress as part of my SoC project because that time
> there was more interest. Alexander (CC'd) may comment on this. I
> think he has a license for FreeBSD work but he is not allowed to
> give it out to a third party.

At some point I got a license (IIRC for 2-users) which could have been
installed in the cluster, but this would have meant to install a
license server somewhere. The license was also the only commercial
license I had which would have allowed to run the amd64... ehrm...
em64t version of icc. This was for icc 9.x and I have some doubts this
license will work with icc 11.x.

If someone would get icc 11.x up and runnig as a port (similar to what
we have for outdated icc version in the ports collection), I would
have a look if my contact at Intel is still working there in a
position which allows him to get a commercial license for us.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
http://www.Leidinger.net  Alexander _at_ Leidinger.net: PGP ID = B0063FE7