Re: Interpreted language(s) in the base

From: Lev Serebryakov <lev_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 09:53:41 +0400
Hello, Doug.
You wrote 16 августа 2010 г., 10:15:55:

> lua     too "flavor of the day," not enough track record of stability,
>         not enough installed base/proven utility
 To   be   honest,  lua  is  used  in TONS of  (commercial and, often,
console) games as scripting engine, without any issues with stability
or speed. Console games are very special world, where stability is holy
cow, BTW.

>> some JavaScript engines probably fit the description.
> Yikes! Sorry I asked.  :)
  Best scripting language ever :) Mixup of Lisp and Self, disguised to
  looks  like  "traditional" language. And, yes, I'm serious here. But
  JavaScript   have   one   problem:  both  good  open-source  engines
  (SpiderMonkey   and   V8)  don't  have  good  "system"  library  for
  file/io/process  operations. They are too-browser specific. They can
  be easily stipped down to bare engines (very small, very efficient),
  but  in  such case here is huge amount of work by writing all native
  objects and operations needed for system scripting.

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev_at_FreeBSD.org>