Re: Kerberized NFSv3 incorrect behavior

From: George Mamalakis <mamalos_at_eng.auth.gr>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 19:50:05 +0200
On 08/02/2010 00:34, Rick Macklem wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Feb 2010, George Mamalakis wrote:
>

>> thank you for all your answers. I am planning on setting up the
>> computer labs of my department using kerberized nfsv3 (since v4 seems
>> to be "more" experimental) with a FreeBSD nfs server and Linux nfs
>> clients. I was wondering "how stable" such an implementation would
>> be; meaning that I wouldn't want to end up with an unstsable setup
>> when receiving requests from 50-60 simultaneous clients, because that
>> would be my everyday scenario.
>>

> I believe that the above should be stable, but your mileage may vary, as
> they say. The main issue will be what your TGT lifetime will be, since
> client access to the server will normally stop when the TGT expires. Some
> systems (Mac OS X) will automagically renew the TGT before it expires,
> if your KDC allows that. I don't think most/all Linux systems do this
> by default, but there are some utilities out there (try a search for
> krenew) that will do so.

I think that this I can be overcome with a default timeout option in my
shell variables (at least for the 'pilot phase').

> Basically, I think you'll want to avoid TGTs expiring before the user
> logs out. You also need a unique uid<->user principal mapping for all
> users logging in.

I am planning on using LDAP as my backend with kerberos attributes (I
have already setup my ldap like that). To be honest, I have done
something funny. My heimdal's backend is openldap; this LDAP is only for
heimdal access (inside a jail). Then, I have another jail which serves
its openldap instance to all my clients. This ldap (which stores a
totally different DIT then heimdal's LDAP) is kerberized (it uses gssapi
authentication via cyrus-sasl), using the heimdal jail. It's a bit
dramatic, but it seems to work fine-until now-, it seems quite secure,
and allows me to synchronize the heimdal backend easily through openldap
replication. Moreover, keeping the user credentials in ldap helps for
having a generic user/password store for other services I use (like
samba, (for my windows hosts)). So, I use a different ldap attribute for
samba-semantics and another ldap attribute for kerberos. Lastly,
openldap caters for storing uids,gids,home_folder_locations,etc for my
users, where my clients have access to this information via their
respective nsswitch.conf files. I think that this answers your question
regarding uid<->user principal mapping, unless I misunderstood something.

> You definitely want to do some testing with whatever Linux system you
> are using for the client.
>
> Good luck with it, rick
> ps: Choosing nfsv3 vs nfsv4 is basically independent of using RPCSEC_GSS
>     except for the host based initiator credential needed by some clients
>     (Linux and Solaris10 are among those) for NFSv4.

To tell you the truth, when I recompiled my kernel with:

options         NFSD
options         KGSSAPI
device          crypto

to setup an nvsv4 server, nfsd refused to start because mountd was
segfaulting. I didn't play much with this setup, because I was in a
hurry, so I commented out NFSD and put back NFSSERVER, to be able to
test my server.

Now a last question: Does gssapi/nfs setup work with the automounter
(bsd/linux nfs-client)?

Thanx again for your answer.

--
George Mamalakis

IT Officer
Electrical and Computer Engineer (Aristotle Un. of Thessaloniki),
MSc (Imperial College of London)

Faculty of Engineering
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki

phone number : +30 (2310) 994379