Re: Seeing the dreaded "ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable" on 9.0-CURRENT

From: Chris <behrnetworks_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 08:31:28 -0500
> Can you paste the exact error? Are you getting something like:
>     error 1: lba 32
>     error 1: lba 1
> When I've seen the above sequence, it was due to a stack overflow (IIRC),
> with the result that the loader would start a second time and barf out these
> errors.
> The "large number" in the error might give us a clue as to what's going on.
> If the number is really large, it might be an indication that your BIOS
> doesn't reliably read past a certain threshold. ZFS writes a sort of label
> at the beginning and end of its drives; perhaps the loader is trying to read
> the label at the end of the disk and is failing (I don't recall whether it
> tries to read both labels).
> Matt

Matt,

Here's exactly what I'm seeing after POST:

error 1 lba 179552888
error 1 lba 59243926
ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable

FreeBSD/i386 boot
Default: zroot:/boot/kernel/kernel
boot:
error 1 lba 179552888
error 1 lba 59243926
ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
FreeBSD/i386 boot
Default: zroot:/boot/kernel/kernel
boot:

It may or may not be related, but I notice that while in this state my
hard drive activity light stays on.

Thanks,
Chris