Re: Seeing the dreaded "ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable" on 9.0-CURRENT

From: Matt Reimer <mattjreimer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 09:50:32 -0800
On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 5:31 AM, Chris <behrnetworks_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> > Can you paste the exact error? Are you getting something like:
> >     error 1: lba 32
> >     error 1: lba 1
> > When I've seen the above sequence, it was due to a stack overflow (IIRC),
> > with the result that the loader would start a second time and barf out
> these
> > errors.
> > The "large number" in the error might give us a clue as to what's going
> on.
> > If the number is really large, it might be an indication that your BIOS
> > doesn't reliably read past a certain threshold. ZFS writes a sort of
> label
> > at the beginning and end of its drives; perhaps the loader is trying to
> read
> > the label at the end of the disk and is failing (I don't recall whether
> it
> > tries to read both labels).
> > Matt
>
> Matt,
>
> Here's exactly what I'm seeing after POST:
>
> error 1 lba 179552888
> error 1 lba 59243926
> ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable

Hmm, both those LBAs fit in 28 bits. With a modern BIOS I wouldn't expect
problems with those LBAs.

It may or may not be related, but I notice that while in this state my
> hard drive activity light stays on.

I think you're probably right about this being a BIOS problem.

Does the gptzfsboot 'status' command show the same output when you run it
with and without the F12 workaround? Here's what I see from FreeBSD and from
gptzfsboot:

[root ~]# zpool status
  pool: glamdring
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: none requested
config:

        NAME                   STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        glamdring              ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz2               ONLINE       0     0     0
            label/glamdring-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            label/glamdring-1  ONLINE       0     0     0
            label/glamdring-2  ONLINE       0     0     0
            label/glamdring-3  ONLINE       0     0     0
            label/glamdring-4  ONLINE       0     0     0
            label/glamdring-5  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

/boot.config: -Dh
Default: glamdring:/boot/zfsloader
boot: status  pool: glamdring