Re: ums fails to initialise correctly

From: Chris Hedley <freebsd-current_at_chrishedley.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 18:27:08 +0000 (GMT)
On Mon, 22 Feb 2010, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

>> But nothing at all when it hasn't initialised properly.
>
> Hi,
>
> If you get no "ums_intr_callback()" printouts at all in the failing case, and
> you are running 9-current, I guess that your KWM switch has some special
> requirements on the USB programming which I am not aware about.

It is all a bit confusing: I tried the other day to boot with the mouse
receiver plugged directly into the computer so I could remove the KVM from
the equation, and that didn't work either, until I unplugged it and
plugged it back in after it had booted.  But today it was fine.  Then
again, I had problems getting the ehci driver to see it when plugging it
into the computer after it had booted, though the ohci driver was more
accommodating.  It does have the hallmarks of one of those pesky
intermittent problems...

I tried the usbconfig ... reset command, but other than producing
convincing-looking messages, that didn't do the trick: it looked like it
was there, but absolutely nothing when moving it about.  I even tried the
power_off/power_on combo in the hope that would be enough, but that didn't
work either.  It's being extremely stubborn.

One possibly significant element is that usbconfig lists the mouse as
being full speed (12 MB/s) and the KVM as being low speed (1.5 MB/s) which
I understand could potentially cause timing problems or some such; though
that doesn't explain why it seems happy enough once I've physically
detached and reattached the mouse receiver, since the two devices still
show the same respective speeds afterwards.

If this really is unworkable, I've been toying with the idea of running my
workstation purely in legacy mode (assuming I can get it working...) but
I'm not sure if that's really the best way ahead, either for me or the
FreeBSD project!  But as long as you or anybody else is happy to help look
into this odd little problem I've dug up, I'll provide whatever
information I can.