Re: ums fails to initialise correctly

From: Chris Hedley <freebsd-current_at_chrishedley.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:37:15 +0000 (GMT)
On Mon, 22 Feb 2010, Chris Hedley wrote:

> I'm having a lot of problems getting the ums (USB mouse) driver to initialise
> the mouse correctly.

Hmm.  Just discovered something quite interesting.

I decided to try a different mouse, so I've swiped the missus' for a
while.  It's also a Logitech, but an older model (and, incidentally,
rather better made than my more expensive Revolution MX <_<).

And it works without any bother.  Perfectly happy switching to Windows and
FreeBSD and back again, and I haven't been able to get it to not work yet.

I guess the possibilities are:

1. My newer, problematic mouse (or rather its receiver) is a high-speed
device, whilst the missus' old mouse has a low-speed one.  This
"shouldn't" cause conflicts since it works with Windows and Linux... but
it does.

2. I used Uber Tools on Windows to reconfigure the behaviour of the mouse
buttons and scroll wheel, which may be doing something undesirable.  I'll
fiddle about with it and see if I can repeat the not-workingness with her
mouse, and just not use it if it's the culprit.

3. Maybe the Revolution MX just sucks in some random way that I don't
know, and perhaps has some basic problem with adhering to the USB
protocol.

I'll write more when I find something conclusive.  Or even inconclusive,
for that matter. :)