Re: FreeBSD 8.0 - network stack crashes?

From: Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 16:48:04 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, Eirik Ã~Xverby wrote:

> On 8. jan. 2010, at 16.33, Robert N. M. Watson wrote:
>> On 30 Nov 2009, at 19:13, Eirik Øverby wrote:
>>
>>> I meant NFS-UDP ... However I was wrong even there; Using NFS over UDP from FreeBSD boxes does not cause the same issue. So OpenBSD seems to be a special case here.

As a data point, I tried to reproduce it here using an OpenBSD4.5 client
and wasn't able to see a leak. So it might be only certain versions of
OpenBSD or certain network configs or ??? (I used NFSv3 over UDP.)

I doubt it, but if the version of OpenBSD you were using happened to
use NFSv2 by default with UDP vs NFSv3 for TCP, there is a patch that
fixes an mbuf leak, that is specific to NFSv2. However, if you were
using NFSv3 over UDP, then this won't be relevant.

I can look at a packet trace, but I kinda doubt that it's going to
shed light on the cause of the mbuf leak.
("tcpdump -s 0 -w <file> host <server>" should get a packet capture
that Wireshark will make sense of.)

rick