Re: Atheros WIFI is not recognized on FreeBSD 8.0-RC1

From: Paul B Mahol <onemda_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 11:11:43 +0100
On 1/9/10, Eugene Dzhurinsky <bofh_at_redwerk.com> wrote:

>> > Sorry, I'm not sure that I understand how to use that. Should I copy the
>> > folders to /usr/src and rebuild world and kernel?
>>
>> Just use mount_nullfs, no need to change files.
>
> Hello, Paul!
>
> I've got the chance to play with the sources. What I've done:
>
> 1) copied folders into appropriate places of /usr/src

Please do not copy, use mount_nullfs.

> 2) built and installed ndis module
> 3) built and installed if_ndis module
> 4) built and installed ndiscvt executable
> 5) generated athw_sys.ko module
> 6) copied athw_sys.ko module into /boot/kernel

Copy athw_sys.ko to /boot/modules instead, and run `kldxref /boot/modules`.

> 7) rebooted

Not really required.

> 8) manually loaded ndis and if_ndis module (the latter was loaded
> automatically by ndis as I realized)
> 9) loaded athw_sys

Use kldload instead. Loading module during boot have some unresolved problems.

> 10) booted

Not really required if you use kldload/kldunload.

> and on initializing of ndis device kernel panic was detected on page read at
> some address.
What address, and where it happens.

If your kernel have debug support then type bt at ddb prompt. And send output
(in format you prefer: picture, textdump, output from `kgdb
/boot/kernel /var/crash/vmcore`)

On GENERIC kernels vmcore.X file should be generated.
Do you have dupdev and dumpdir defined in rc.conf and is dumpdev swap device?

You really need kernel with DDB, GDB ...

> If I did something wrong, or I can provide you with some more information -
> please let me know, what would you like me to send you (and how to get it).

I really need more information to help you.

--
Paul B Mahol