[CFT] ZFS v15 patch (version 3)

From: Martin Matuska <mm_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 13:50:52 +0200
Dear FreeBSD community,

there has been a ZFS-related discussion at the meetBSD conference in
Krakow, Poland and we agreed to push ZFS version 15 (and not 16) to
-CURRENT.

An upgrade to version 16 gives us no valuable features (to be true, no
features at all besides ability to import v16 pools).
As ZFS v15 is already being used in the Solaris 10 enterprise world, we
can consider it well-tested.

The goal is to provide a filesystem compatible with Solaris 10 update 8,
which may attract new users to FreeBSD.
Existing users will get the userquota/groupquota features for ZFS and be
able to import Solaris 10 update 8 pools.

Import was done by walking through the path of bugfixes from Solaris 10,
including pre-v15 bugfixes and almost all post-v15 bugfixes.
Few patches are irrelevant to our code (Solaris-specific features) or
modify the zvol part, these have been left out.

I have prepared a new patch that includes almost all revision numbers
Solaris 10 has integrated (we have several of the revisions already in
our tree).
Patch also includes updated manpages and may be considered as a
candidate for head.

Link to the patch information file, including all imported revisions,
bug-ids and reference to Solairis 10 patch numbers:
http://people.freebsd.org/~mm/patches/zfs/v15/head-v15-v3.html
http://people.freebsd.org/~mm/patches/zfs/v15/head-v15-v3.txt

Direct link to the patch:
http://people.freebsd.org/~mm/patches/zfs/v15/head-v15-v3.patch

The patch applies cleanly against head and stable/8.

I am running a patched 8.1 (RC) without any problems so far.
To patch 8.1 (RC), you need to apply revision 209274 from stable/8
before the patch:
http://people.freebsd.org/~mm/patches/zfs/v15/stable-209274.patch

For full operation (commands zfs allow, unallow, userspace, grouspace)
the python port must be installed, otherwise these comands don't work or
have only limited functionality. The port will be added to the ports
tree soon, you can download it from:
http://people.freebsd.org/~mm/patches/zfs/v15/sysutils_py-zfs.tar.gz

For people just wanting to try the new features, I am providing mfsBSD
ISO's with ZFS-on-root install (don't forget the -V 15 flag to the
"zfsinstall" command):
http://mfsbsd.vx.sk/iso/8.1rc2-zfsv15-v3.iso (without symbols, 99 MB)
http://mfsbsd.vx.sk/iso/8.1rc2-zfsv15-v3-debug.iso (with symbols, 188 MB)

I would be very grateful for testing on different architectures, mainly
on amd64, i386 and sprarc.

Thank you for testing!