Re: current + mpt = panic: Bad link elm 0xffffff80002d6480 next->prev != elm

From: Svein Skogen (Listmail account) <"Svein>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 14:16:11 +0200
On 20.07.2010 13:55, Ståle Kristoffersen wrote:
> On 2010-07-20 at 12:17, Marius Strobl wrote:

>>> I have another data-point, I cvsup'ed to the latest current again, and
>>> rebuilt without INVARIANT and WITNESS, and now it seems to survive the
>>> timeouts.
>>
>> That's more or less expected as the sanity check issuing the panic
>> just isn't compiled in then. However, my understanding was that with
>> STABLE you don't get the timeouts in the first place, or do you see
>> them there also?
>
> I got the timeouts with STABLE as well, that was the reason for me to
> try out CURRENT. I'm sorry I didn't mention that earlier.
>
> My main concern is to get rid of the timeouts, but a panic on one can't be
> right. How can I debug this further? I can get timeout fairly consistent by
> putting a bit of load on the drives. If it would help I can also provide
> remote access.
>
> I'm trying to update the firmware on some of the drives now to see if that
> helps with the timeouts.

Sorry for the late response here, but what you're describing matches
fairly well what I saw with RELENG_8 (just after 8.0 was released), but
luckily I didn't have any disks on my MPT, just my tape autoloader.

Random timeouts, and then bus resets (that made tape IO unreliable).

The bad news, is that I had the exact same trouble with OpenSolaris
(134), and something-similar with Linux (can't remember versions), at
the time.

I never did find a solution, and ended up throwing windows on the box,
just to get reliable backups.

My MPT is a 3801 LSI1068e based card running the latest bios.

//Svein

--
--------+-------------------+-------------------------------
  /"\   |Svein Skogen       | svein_at_d80.iso100.no
        |                   | svein_at_stillbilde.net
 ascii  |                   | PGP Key:  0x58CD33B6
 ribbon |System Admin       | svein-listmail_at_stillbilde.net
Campaign|stillbilde.net     | PGP Key:  0x22D494A4
        |msn messenger:     | Mobile Phone: +47 907 03 575
        |svein_at_jernhuset.no | RIPE handle:    SS16503-RIPE
         If you really are in a hurry, mail me at
               svein-mobile_at_stillbilde.net
 This mailbox goes directly to my cellphone and is checked
        even when I'm not in front of my computer.
                     Picture Gallery:
          https://gallery.stillbilde.net/v/svein/