Re: Why is intr taking up so much cpu?

From: Dan Nelson <dnelson_at_allantgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 11:46:00 -0500
In the last episode (Jul 19), Doug Barton said:
> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010, Dan Nelson wrote:
> > You can also use dtrace to get a count of callouts and their time spent.
> > Run this for a few seconds then hit ^C:
>
> Okey dokey, here you go:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~dougb/normal-dtrace.txt
> http://people.freebsd.org/~dougb/bad-dtrace.txt

I don't see any real difference between those two runs, so maybe it's not a
callout eating your CPU.  How about running this for a few seconds, which
will print all the stack traces seen during the sampling period:

dtrace -n 'profile:::profile-276hz { _at_pc[stack()]=count(); }'

On an otherwise idle system, you should see most of the counts in cpu_idle,
with the remainder clustered in whatever code is eating your CPU.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson_at_allantgroup.com