Re: Why is intr taking up so much cpu?

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 23:50:28 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010, Dan Nelson wrote:

> In the last episode (Jul 19), Doug Barton said:
>> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010, Dan Nelson wrote:
>>> You can also use dtrace to get a count of callouts and their time spent.
>>> Run this for a few seconds then hit ^C:
>>
>> Okey dokey, here you go:
>>
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~dougb/normal-dtrace.txt
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~dougb/bad-dtrace.txt
>
> I don't see any real difference between those two runs, so maybe it's not a
> callout eating your CPU.  How about running this for a few seconds, which
> will print all the stack traces seen during the sampling period:
>
> dtrace -n 'profile:::profile-276hz { _at_pc[stack()]=count(); }'
>
> On an otherwise idle system, you should see most of the counts in cpu_idle,
> with the remainder clustered in whatever code is eating your CPU.

Ok, here's the output from the above:

http://people.freebsd.org/~dougb/normal-dtrace-2.txt
http://people.freebsd.org/~dougb/bad-dtrace-2.txt

FYI, I updated to r210317 because mav's latest commits are clock
related, and it seemed to help. The first flash video I tried to watch
went all the way through and afterwards intr was around 2% cpu (normally
it's in the 0.n% range). However, after killing all the stray
npviewer.bin processes, and killing firefox, it went back down. It took
watching several videos in a row to get it to the point where intr
started running away again.

Doug

 			-- Pablo Picasso