Re: [TESTING]: ClangBSD branch needs testing before the import to HEAD

From: b. f. <bf1783_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 09:30:53 +0000
On 6/4/10, Andriy Gapon <avg_at_icyb.net.ua> wrote:
> on 04/06/2010 11:13 b. f. said the following:
>> Mark Linimon wrote:
>>> There are two types of compiler bug: a) bug that produces bad code; b)
>>> bug that makes the compiler crash.
>>>

>> Let's remember that the entire toolchain is important here, and not
>> just the compiler.  Some of the problems can be attributed to our old
>> binutils.
>>
>>> For comparison, bitrot that is probably due to older ports not keeping
>>> up with compiler changes is at:
>>>
>>> http://portsmon.freebsd.org/portsconcordanceforbuilderror.py?build_error=gcc4_error
>>>

>> How did you obtain "gcc4-errors"?
>>
>> We're not alone here: some major GNU/Linux distributions, NetBSD, and
>> DragonFlyBSD are using newer versions of binutils and/or gcc, so we
>> can look at their patches and error logs to fix some problems.
>
> DragonFlyBSD and NetBSD use newer GCC?
> This is the first time I hear about that.
> No doubt about major Linux distributions, though.

DragonFlyBSD imported gcc 4.4 into their development branch in August
2009, binutils 2.20 in Oct. 2009, and switched to binutils 2.20 and
gcc 4.4.2 in their 2.6.1 release:

http://www.dragonflybsd.org/release26/
http://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/dragonfly.git/history/HEAD:/gnu/lib/gcc44
http://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/dragonfly.git/history/HEAD:/gnu/usr.bin/binutils220

NetBSD allows one to set HAVE_BINUTILS=2.19 and use

http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/external/gpl3/?only_with_tag=MAIN

See the README there for their policy statement.  I think they decided
to bite the bullet and allow optional use of the later version because
it was becoming increasingly hard to support some of their many
architectures with the old stuff.  But no doubt their mailing lists
have more information.

b.