Re: ffs_copyonwrite panics

From: Roman Bogorodskiy <bogorodskiy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 12:53:40 +0400
  Jeremie Le Hen wrote:

> Hi Roman,
>
> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 03:21:41PM +0400, Roman Bogorodskiy wrote:
> > I am not sure how to save coredump as when the system boots after the
> > crash and starts saving coredump from swap partition to disk the system
> > crashes again.
> >
> > Generally, the system is almost unusable and in order to try a new
> > kernel I cross-compile it on my i386 laptop and copy in using livefs
> > cdrom.
> >
> > Do you have an idea how to save a trace?
>
> Sorry for the late reply.  If you're still undergoing this issue, once
> your kernel has crashed and dumped his memory, you can reboot using your
> previously working kernel.  You will be able to save the core to the
> disk.

I've tried old kernel when just spotted this issue, but with the old
kernel and new world I wasn't able to use ppp so I gave up on that
quickly. Back then I haven't had dumpdev configured so wan't able to
save a dump.

Anyways, in the end I've tried different various kernels, including 8.0
kernel and world but was still having problems with writing stuff to
disk. Finally, I've did a reinstall of 8.0 with newfs for all
partitions and it now works fine, so probably the fs was damaged
somehow.

Roman Bogorodskiy