Re: Having a problem with security/libassuan-1 when compiling gnupg.

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 14:56:35 -0700
[ FYI, this message should have gone to freebsd-ports_at_FreeBSD.org ... ]

On 06/17/10 11:20, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> 2.0.0 should be the preferred version, but its API is incompatible with
> the old one. Many ports using libassuan (listed in UPDATING) have not
> been updated to support V2, so the libassuan-1 port was created.
>
> As soon as deskutils/kdepim4 and security/{dirmngr|gnupg|gpa|opensc} are
> updated, there will be a need to move to 2.0.0.

Well, I just made it a lot worse. :)  As Kevin points out here, the new
version of libassuan is not compatible with the old. This decision on
the part of the gnupg folks has its merits, but is unarguably
inconvenient during the transition.

On May 11th I approached the authors of the ports that depend on
libassuan asking about their plans for updating (minus ale_at_
unfortunately, opensc's dependency is conditional, thus I missed it
until I grep'ed the tree instead of relying on INDEX). The status of the
affected ports is as follows:
1. gnupg	Already handled because 2.0.15 required the update
2. dirmngr	They had an RC ready to go, which they released after I poked
them a bit. :)

So these first 2 are now done.

3. kdepim4	My understanding is that the version currently under
development has support for libassuan 2.0.0, and will be released in
August. The kde_at_ folks have indicated that if there is a need to update
it sooner they can most likely do that based on patches that are
currently available.
4. gpa		The svn version supports assuan 2.0.0, but the release of this
new version has not yet been scheduled.
5. opensc	ale_at_ has indicated that he would prefer to wait to update his
port until a new version that supports assuan 2.0.0 is released.

 > I am unsure what happens when some ports want v1 and others want v2.
 > This may not be an issue if the updated ports can be deal with either
 > API, but I have no idea whether that is the case.

The current situation is that having both versions installed is
incompatible. My preference would be that the maintainers of the
affected ports upgrade to depend on assuan 2.0.0 and then we can remove
libassuan-1. If it becomes necessary to support having both versions
installed then "Plan C" at this point would be to modify libassuan-1 to
support this.

hth,

Doug

			-- Propellerheads