Re: [CFT] SIFTR - Statistical Information For TCP Research: Uncle Lawrence needs YOU!

From: Lawrence Stewart <lstewart_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 13:27:30 +1000
Amount of feedback received thus far: nichts, nil, nada

*sings "I'm so ronery" in his best Kim Jong-il voice* [4]

Just like Uncle Sam [5], Uncle Lawrence needs you too - yes, I'm
pointing at YOU!

More specifically, people out there running current with 10-15 mins to
spare for some testing, please read on.

On 06/13/10 18:12, Lawrence Stewart wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The time has come to solicit some external testing for my SIFTR tool.
> I'm hoping to commit it within a week or so unless problems are discovered.
>
> SIFTR is a kernel module that logs a range of statistics on active TCP
> connections to a log file. It provides the ability to make highly
> granular measurements of TCP connection state, aimed at system
> administrators, developers and researchers. You can use the data to find
> bugs in the stack, understand why connections are performing badly and
> test new code to name a few uses.
>
> Development has been made possible in part by grants from the Cisco
> University Research Program Fund at Community Foundation Silicon Valley,
> and the FreeBSD Foundation. Bringing it into FreeBSD proper is being
> carried out under the auspices of the "Enhancing the FreeBSD TCP
> Implementation" FreeBSD Foundation project. More details are available
> at [1,2,3].
>
> If you can help out, please read on!
>
> Before continuing, make sure you're running with at least svn revision
> 209119 (my commit to <sys/pcpu.h>), or you can manually apply the
> r209119 diff to to your earlier rev source tree.
>
> The SIFTR patch is here:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~lstewart/patches/tcp_ffcaia2008/siftr_9.x.r209119.patch

An updated version of the patch against svn head revision 209325 is
available from:

http://people.freebsd.org/~lstewart/patches/tcp_ffcaia2008/siftr_9.x.r209325.patch

There was a backwards incompatible change in the external DPCPU_SUM()
macro in <sys/pcpu.h> in r209325 of head so SIFTR also had to be
updated. Please adapt the following instructions as appropriate based on
the patch version you're testing.

[4] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh_9QhRzJEs (language warning)

[5] http://www.sonofthesouth.net/uncle-sam/images/uncle-sam-wants-you.jpg