Re: using cupsd instead of base lpr

From: Peter Pentchev <roam_at_ringlet.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 18:46:10 +0300
On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 03:56:56PM +0200, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Ed Schouten <ed_at_80386.nl> writes:
> > In my opinion, we should just rename mailwrapper to whateverwrapper
> > and list the lpr programs in there as well.
>
> Take a look at /etc/alternatives in any Debian-based Linux distro...

Yeah, that's actually something I've long wondered about implementing;
shouldn't be too hard, really.

Never found the tuits, though :)

For those who don't know what the idea is: /usr/bin/ftp is a symlink to
/etc/alternatives/ftp, which in its turn is a symlink to /usr/bin/tnftp.
The /etc/alternatives/ links are maintained by the update-alternatives
utility which knows about priorities, defaults, slave symlinks (e.g. if
the ftp(1) utility's symlink changes, it would be best to also change
the ftp.1.gz manpage symlink, wouldn't it?), and a whole lot more.

From a user's standpoint, all you have to do is install a package that
declares a higher-priority alternative, and update-alternatives switches
the symlink behind the scenes (unless you have explicitly specified one
of the choices).  If you don't like that, run update-alternatives by hand,
and your choice is honored even if later a package with an even higher
priority is installed.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam_at_space.bg    roam_at_ringlet.net    roam_at_FreeBSD.org
Hey, out there - is it *you* reading me, or is it someone else?