Re: Use of boot0cfg to set boot slice broke between r209459 and r209502

From: David Wolfskill <david_at_catwhisker.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 11:01:30 -0700
On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 08:37:36AM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Friday 25 June 2010 7:40:11 am David Wolfskill wrote:
> > Well, one one of my machines -- I realize that there are some
> > machines for which it's been problematic for a while.  And all of
> > the machines I'm using run FreeBSD/i386.
>
> 209469 perhaps?

Apparently so.

Here's what I did to test the above assertion:

* Booted the build machine from slice 4 (usual "head" slice); cloned
  that slice to slice 1; booted from slice 1.

* In a "head" src working directory, I issued

	svn diff -c209469

  and saw that r209469 merely added 2 lines to usr.sbin/boot0cfg/boot0cfg.c.

* On the build machine's src working directory, I edited
  usr.sbin/boot0cfg/boot0cfg.c to remove the lines in question.

* Then (as root), I made /usr/src/usr.sbin/boot0cfg/ my current working
  directory and issued:

	make && make install

* I then issued

	boot0cfg -s 4 aacd0 && shutdown -r now

  then watched the serial console.

* I noticed that the default boot slice -- which had been 1 -- was now
  4.

* For grins, I then booted slice 4 (head) in single-user mode, mounted
  the file systems, then invoked the boot0cfg executable from slice 1 to
  switch the default to slice 2, then issued "halt -p".  I waited a bit,
  then powered the machine back up (WoL can be handy!) noted it was
  booting from slice 2, brought it up in single-user mode, then issued
  "halt -p" to reduce its power consumption and heat & nouse generation.

All that said, it looks as if r209469 merely noticed an existing error
condition and tried to do something arguably sensible with it, rather
than merely ignore it.  So it would seem that there's a more fundamental
issue at stake, here....

Peace,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill				david_at_catwhisker.org
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.