Re: Increasing MAXPHYS

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_samsco.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 11:10:48 -0600
On Mar 21, 2010, at 10:53 AM, Ulrich Spörlein wrote:
> [CC trimmed]
> On Sun, 21.03.2010 at 10:39:10 -0600, Scott Long wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Scott,
>>>
>>> while I'm sure that most of the FreeBSD admins are aware of "silly"
>>> benchmarks where Linux I/O seems to dwarf FreeBSD, do you have some
>>> pointers regarding your statement that FreeBSD triumphs for real-world
>>> I/O loads? Can this be simulated using iozone, bonnie, etc? More
>>> importantly, is there a way to do this file system independently?
>>>

>> iozone and bonnie tend to be good at testing serialized I/O latency; each read and write is serialized without any buffering.  My experience is that they give mixed results, sometimes they favor freebsd, sometime linux, sometimes it's a wash, all because they are so sensitive to latency.  And that's where is also gets hard to have a "universal" benchmark; what are you really trying to model, and how does that model reflect your actual workload?  Are you running a single-instance, single threaded application that is sensitive to latency?  Are you running a multi-instance/multi-threaded app that is sensitive to bandwidth?  Are you operating on a single file, or on a large tree of files, or on a raw device?  Are you sharing a small number of relatively stable file descriptors, or constantly creating and deleting files and truncating space?
>
> All true, that's why I wanted to know from you, which real world
> situations you encountered where FreeBSD did/does outperform Linux in
> regards to I/O throughput and/or latency (depending on scenario, of
> course).

I have some tests that spawn N number of threads and then do sequential and random i/o either into a filesystem or a raw disk.  FreeBSD gets more work done with fewer I/O's than linux when you're operating through the filesystem, thanks to softupdates and the block layer.  Linux has a predictive cache that often times will generate too much i/o in a vain attempt to aggressively prefetch blocks. So even then it's hard to measure in a simple way; linux will do more i/o, but less of it will be useful to the application, thereby increasing latency and increasing application runtime.  Sorry I can't be more specific, but you're asking for something that I explicitly say I can't provide.

Scott