Re: ZFS Stability & MySQL (Comments Requested)

From: Eirik Øverby <ltning_at_anduin.net>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 19:54:25 +0200
Hi,

just chirping in; we've upgraded a bunch of old 6.x servers to 8.0 with ZFS. This is a pair of HP DL385 G1s (dual opteron, old stuff) with SmartArray controllers, which had absolutely horrible performance in both 6.0 and 8.0. The drive array gave us ~25 mbyte/s sustained, which is obviously abysmal for U320/15k SCSI drives backed by hardware RAID and cache.

We ended up splitting the hardware RAID into single drives, and using ZFS/RaidZ. We suddenly got around 45 mbye/s (still bad) per channel, adding up nicely when benchmarking the RaidZ volume.

MySQL now performs much better than before, and we've enabled compression (gzip-2) and fixed block sizes. Compression ratio is about 1.7:1, transaction latency on the database (as seen from application) has gone down by about 65% on average.

We see anything between 300 and 2000 queries/second throughout the day, and our active dataset is about 500GB. The servers have 8GB of memory.

/Eirik