Re: [TESTING]: ClangBSD branch needs testing before the import to HEAD

From: Attilio Rao <attilio_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 12:54:29 +0200
2010/5/31 Kostik Belousov <kostikbel_at_gmail.com>:
> On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 12:03:17AM -0600, Scott Long wrote:

>> > It was promised that before the import, the public discussion on
>> > the mailing list will happen. So far, nothing appeared on either
>> > arch_at_ or current_at_ providing argumentation why should we accept this.
>>
>> Sounds like you're inviting the discussion right now.  I'll start =-)
>>
>> 1. I hate gcc with the burning heat of a million suns. It's not a
>> tool, it's a political weapon wielded by the FSF and their acolytes.
>> It's also a crummy piece of software that has been "good enough" for
>> far too long. Its development model is a burden to work with and has
>> been a major liability towards FreeBSD releases in the past. Its
>> demise cannot happen soon enough.
>>
>> 2. Due to the political bent of the GPL3 and the FSF's insistence
>> on shoving it down everyone's throats, FreeBSD is stuck with a
>> dead-end version of gcc. This has already been a liability in terms
>> of addressing bugs in gcc itself, and it will only get worse as
>> technology moves forward and gcc stands still.
>>
>> 3. Clang/LLVM has an active development base and a clear future. It
>> will move forward while gcc rots. There simply is no future left in
>> gcc unless the FreeBSD project decides to embrace the GPL3, and that's
>> a move that has already been heavily discussed, debated, and decided
>> on. Anecdotally, I think that FreeBSD is benefiting from shunning the
>> GPL3; it's made it an attractive option for companies looking for an
>> unencumbered OS for their products.
>>
>> 4. While Clang is immature now, it will mature in the near future,
>> and FreeBSD will benefit from that process. FreeBSD will get built-in
>> access to upcoming technologies like GCD+Blocks and better code
>> editors and development tools that gcc will never support. It'll break
>> free of the development stranglehold that exists within gcc. Clang has
>> shown good agility in adapting to the needs of FreeBSD and the legacy
>> of gcc, thanks in large part to the efforts of people like Roman. Gcc
>> has been nothing but drama and headache, even with the valiant efforts
>> of people like Alexander Kabaev.
>>
>> 5. If all of this turns out to not be true and Clang/LLVM fails,
>> FreeBSD has lost nothing and can remove it from the base system. Gcc
>> remains where it is for now, at least until it's time for the "remove
>> gcc discussion".
>>
>> The future is !gcc. Putting Clang+LLVM into a position where it can
>> be easily embraced by FreeBSD users will greatly benefit the FreeBSD
>> project.
>>
>> Scott
>>
> I do not object to a single point in your message. On the other hand, all
> said could be labeled as distilled propaganda.
>
> My main concern is the usefulness of HEAD for routine bug-fixing process.
>
> The proposed merge makes it relatively easy for users to start compiling
> the system with CLang. Our HEAD userbase is one of the most valuable
> project asset to ensure the quality of the system. After the support for
> [...]

FWIW, I entirely agree with Kostik here.
I really would like to see CLANG more integrated with FreeBSD only
when there are 0 or similar (well-known, already analyzed, listed
somewhere, etc.) bugs by the compiler rather than still being in the
middle of a bug storm. Besides, the 'debugging problem' is pretty much
real and nobody answered with a reasonable solution for it, and being
honest, I don't see the people pushing for the import concerned about
that at all.

Are all the bug reports collected somewhere? What's the state of their
resolution? There is a description somewhere of missing support and
things still to be addressed?

Thanks,
Attilio