Re: [TESTING]: ClangBSD branch needs testing before the import to HEAD

From: Astrodog <astrodog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 06:11:32 -0500
If I understand the build process correctly, it should be possible to
have both compilers in base for some (presumably short) period of
time... then just have which one you use be a configuration option,
which should give LLVM/clang some additional exposure, without the
obvious risks of a complete switch. It should be relatively simply to
have "clang as a compile time option in base" then "clang as default
with gcc as an option" then "clang only", as it proves itself out
building the tree.

 I don't really see how the ~50-100MB that only keeping one compiler
in base for a month or two (when there's not going to be a release
from HEAD anyway) would be worth it, when it's compared to the massive
cluster this is probably going to turn into, provided there's a
relatively easy way to opt out of either compiler.

As far as bug reports go, it's not as though this is some
unprecedented problem. In handling PRs, people are asked to rebuild
with patches, different settings, etc already. Its just one more thing
among a list of many to keep in mind when going through that process.
I don't think users of HEAD would find such a request unreasonable
(or, at least, any more unreasonable than what they already have to go
through sometimes.)

--- Harrison Grundy