Re: [TESTING]: ClangBSD branch needs testing before the import to HEAD

From: Ashley Penney <apenney_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 08:24:54 -0400
On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 8:04 AM, Kostik Belousov <kostikbel_at_gmail.com>wrote:

> See, there is no objection to the idea that clang can and may eventually
> displace gcc in the base. This is not the subject of the thread.
>
> The question is whether it is beneficial for FreeBSD to import
> infrastructure to ease the clang-in-base spins up to the point where
> user can set one variable before the build, right now.
>
> From what it was claimed, even without the import, users can install
> whatever compiler from ports, set CC and start the build. Essentially,
> the import blesses the clang and its current state as ready for wide use.

This import simply makes it possible to start testing clang in a more
widespread
fashion.  It doesn't bless anything or make any kind of claim to the
suitability of
clang for production.  I for one am excited about this import and think that
this
kind of bold step is an enormous victory for FreeBSD.  Clang is clearly the
future
of compiler technology and the earlier we get on board the more involvement
we
will have with the Clang team and everyone will reap the benefits.

So, while I'm just a user this absolutely gets my vote and I look forward to
it.