Re: [TESTING]: ClangBSD branch needs testing before the import to HEAD

From: Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 08:18:42 -0700
On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 05:07:44PM +0200, Dimitry Andric wrote:
> On 2010-05-31 16:49, Steve Kargl wrote:
> >> So, what exactly should we expect, if anything, to break? :)
> >
> > Did you build and install new boot code?  ISTR that clang
> > can't compile src/sys/boot/i386/boot0 to the required
> > 512 bytes.
>
> No, boot0 is written in assembly, and run through the regular (GNU)
> assembler.  Neither gcc nor clang do anything more except calling the
> linker.
>
> The only component (in the whole clangbsd src tree) which still needs to
> be compiled with gcc is boot2, which otherwise ends up just a little too
> big, and doesn't fit.  This is being worked on, but it isn't very
> critical, really.  Note that clangbsd automatically uses gcc for this
> specific code, unless you override it manually.

Doesn't this imply that clang/llvm isn't quite ready for deployment.
Being able to boot a complete clang/llvm compiled FreeBSD system
would seem to be critical.

When you say "This is being worked on", do you mean clang/llvm is being
changed to compile boot2 or do you mean boot2 is being changed to
allow clang/lvvm to compile it?

--
Steve