Re: Importing clang/LLVM into FreeBSD HEAD

From: Freddie Cash <fjwcash_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 10:39:02 -0700
On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 8:53 AM, Mike Jakubik <
mike.jakubik_at_intertainservices.com> wrote:

> On 5/31/2010 3:52 AM, Roman Divacky wrote:
>
>> Clang can compile all of FreeBSD on i386/amd64 including world and booting
>> kernel. Other architectures that are close to working are MIPS, PowerPC
>> and ARM. We have a branch (clangbsd-import) that just includes clang/LLVM
>> sources and the build infrastructure and this is what we aim to integrate
>> at first.
>>

> What about the thousands of ports? Also, have there been any tests done to
> compare the performance of the compiled binaries vs gcc?

What about the ports?  Lots of ports already have dependencies on GCC from
ports as they don't build/run properly with GCC 4.2.1.  How is this any
different?

There have been reports on other lists from people using Clang to build
their ports, with very few failures.  It's a "simple" matter to add a
dependency on GCC from ports for those that do fail.  Which is already being
done for ports that don't work with GCC 4.2.1.

Several -exp runs have already been done on the ports tree using Clang.

No idea about benchmarks.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash_at_gmail.com