Re: [TESTING]: ClangBSD branch needs testing before the import to HEAD

From: Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 15:44:21 -0700
On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 4:34 AM, Roman Divacky <rdivacky_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>> > there are no known clang bugs (at least known to me) related to FreeBSD
>> >
>> > in other words - at this point you can compile FreeBSD with clang (both
>> > in the version in clangbsd) and it "works" (for people who tested it)
>> > on amd64 and i386
>>
>> I don't mean about FreeBSD, but about CLANG itself.
>> It would be very depressing to loose many hours on kernel races before
>> to discover it was a compiler deficiency, for example.
>
> thats what I mean - we are not aware of any bugs in clang itself that
> harm FreeBSD (on i386/amd64).
>
> btw. there are 68 open bug reports against gcc 4.2.1 in gcc bugzilla.

Working with known deficiencies in a given system is much easier to
deal with than unknown deficiencies in a new system. I think that's
the point that several folks are trying to address. Unless there is a)
sufficient testcases to exercise each piece of functionality, and/or
b) enough soak time, you're playing a bit of a dangerous game with the
unknown.

I personally would much rather have the glue in place to switch
between compilers and have things default to the base version of gcc
than just magically switch the compiler over to clang.

But I like my bikesheds painted gray.

Thanks,
-Garrett