Re: [TESTING]: ClangBSD branch needs testing before the import to HEAD

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 09:24:52 +0100 (BST)
On Mon, 31 May 2010, Garrett Cooper wrote:

> I personally would much rather have the glue in place to switch between
> compilers and have things default to the base version of gcc than just
> magically switch the compiler over to clang.
>
> But I like my bikesheds painted gray.

Calling that a bikeshed misses the point of bikesheds. :-)

I can't imagine that anyone is arguing for switching the default compiler to
clang any time soon.  The goal of the current exercise is to provide
infrastructure and increase exposure.  An entirely seperate set of decisions
will be required to (perhaps) throw the following switches:

- Make clang the default bootstrapping compiler (i.e., build kernel+world with
   it) on supported architectures.

- Make clang the default ports build compiler.

- Install clang as cc.

Robert