Re: Problems with hda

From: Garrett Cooper <gcooper_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 12:42:24 -0700
On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Doug Barton <dougb_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 11/04/10 11:46, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>>
>> Can you try with 7.x to see if there's a similar problem? I ask
>> this because similar symptoms might exist with snd_emu10kx as another
>> person and I have hashed over in another thread.
>
> Yes, but not right away. :)  What am I looking for when I do?

    Not much, other than [if it does follow my hunch] it should
consistently work as expected on 7.x (with sound and snd_hda built
into the kernel, sound built into the kernel and snd_hda built in as a
module, and both built as modules). A bunch of stuff went into
sound(4) in 8.x to 'improve sound quality' and it caused potentially
non-deterministic breakage, but I don't have a concrete root cause for
the issue (and haven't tried 7.x in a while); I did reproduce it by
running as many instances of audio consuming apps as possible (haven't
determined the salient number, but with 8 vchans, running 4~8
instances of vlc unrooted the issue on my 8-core box).
    I need to try reproducing it with snd_hda as well...
Thanks,
-Garrett