Re: Problems with hda

From: Alexander Motin <mav_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 21:45:11 +0200
Doug Barton wrote:
> Thanks to a generous FreeBSD user I have a shiny new Dell Optiplex 960,
> with the following device:
>
> hdac0: <Intel 82801JD High Definition Audio Controller> mem
> 0xf7adc000-0xf7adffff irq 16 at device 27.0 on pci0
> hdac0: HDA Driver Revision: 20100226_0142
> hdac0: HDA Codec #0: Analog Devices AD1984A
> pcm0: <HDA Analog Devices AD1984A PCM #0 Analog> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac0
> pcm1: <HDA Analog Devices AD1984A PCM #1 Analog> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac0
>
> There's 2 problems. When I plug the headphones in there are sounds,
> sometimes a low-level sound like a tea kettle whistling, and sometimes a
> louder screeching sound.

Try to play with mixer. Especially with "speaker", if you have it. Some
unconnected CODEC inputs may receive random radio interference from
other system components.

> The other problem is that the front headphone
> jack doesn't work. The rear one works, but this is less than convenient.
> :)

Have you tried to playback via pcm1? It could go exactly there.

> Windows and ubuntu linux do not have either problem with the same
> hardware.

Linux and Windows often have hardcoded drivers for specific hardware.
Our driver tries to be universal and honor standards, unluckily often
violated by BIOS makers.

For more information about CODEC and it's configuration you need to get
verbose dmesg. Details are in snd_hda(4).

--
Alexander Motin