Re: Syscons and termcap

From: Ed Schouten <ed_at_80386.nl>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 18:45:42 +0100
* Renato Botelho <rbgarga_at_gmail.com>, 20101109 17:08:
> Well, few weeks ago I moved from ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8 on my Xorg
> environment, and after reading this I decided to make a test.
>
> I rebuilt my 9.0-current (r215031) with option TEKEN_UTF8 in kernel
> config, and after configure my syscons to use cp850-* fonts i can
> see UTF-8 chars properly \o/

Well, the point here is that it just performs some really hackish
translation to CP437, not CP850, on the output path. It is really not
robust. Copy-pasting is also broken because of it, because it pastes
CP437 characters.

> The only thing i cannot do here is to type chars with accent like áé
> on console, because it seems to don't respect deadkeys, when I
> press ' the char ' is show and never wait the next char to compose
> a new one when necessary. Is it a knwon issue or i'm doing
> something wrong?

This is a known issue, since there is no translation from Unicode code
points to UTF-8 sequences. In other words, if you press ë, the keyboard
layer will properly send a 235 to Syscons, but instead of encoding it as
0xC3 0xA9, will just emit a single byte, having value 0xE9.

Maybe a patch like this could already get that working, but it's just a
quick hack.

	http://80386.nl/pub/syscons-utf8.txt

Greetings,
--