Re: [Call for Tests] PAT issue on Apple hardware

From: army.of.root <army.of.root_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 00:16:14 +0100
On 10\11\19 19:54, Jung-uk Kim wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 November 2010 03:30 pm, Jung-uk Kim wrote:
>> On Monday 15 November 2010 08:36 pm, Jung-uk Kim wrote:
>>> Often times I hear complaints like "my Mac hangs after upgrading
>>> to 8.1" or "snapshot CD hangs on my brand new Mac".  I know some
>>> of these complaints started happening when we switched to new PAT
>>> layout.  It is so puzzling because it never happened on non-Apple
>>> hardware, AFAIK.  I really like to fix this problem but I cannot
>>> afford a Mac. :-P
>>>
>>> If you are one of those lucky people, please test the attached
>>> patch and report your hardware model and any improvement or
>>> regression.
>>>
>>> Also, I added a new tunable "vm.pmap.pat_works" so that you can
>>> turn it off from loader (i.e., "set vm.pmap.pat_works=0") and
>>> restore old behaviour without recompiling a new kernel.
>>
>> I revised this patch to make it more robust.
>>
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~jkim/pat-current.diff
>>
>> Also, I prepared a patch for stable/8.  If you have recent Apple
>> hardware and it hangs with 8.1 or stable/8, please test this patch.
>>
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~jkim/pat-stable.diff
>
> Anyone?  I don't want to commit it blindly. :-(
>
> Jung-uk Kim

<works for me too!>

Hi,

I patched the current 8.1-STABLE snapshot CD's kernel and baked it back into
the iso.

Before the patch, the kernel would hang, now the livefs cd boots fine on my
MacBookPro5,5 (2009 13" alu).

Thank you so much ! - I love it.

I attached a dmesg. - Please ask if you need more information, I'd be happy to
help.

Keep up the awesome work :)

Thanks