Is nvidia-driver 256.53 expected to work on -current?

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 15:55:34 -0700
Y'all will probably recall that I had a lot of problems with the
nvidia-driver, and video generally (esp. flash) on i386 -current. Well I
haven't had any problems recently because I haven't been using FreeBSD.
:)  But I have things I need to catch up on, so here's what I did:

1. Bought a new hard drive, and installed a snapshot of amd64 -current
(this was actually done a while ago).
2. Yesterday I started configuring stuff, updated my source and ports
trees, rebuilt the world, customized the kernel, etc.
3. With a newly up to date system I built the latest version of the
nvidia-driver port, and started using it.

My experience with it has been exactly the same as older versions of the
port on previous versions of i386 -current. Sometimes it runs fine for a
while, but when I exit the window manager (openbox) the system hangs and
I never get back to the command prompt. (I'm using startx to try and
minimize the number of variables.) Sometimes it will work fine for an
hour, maybe two, then the whole thing just hangs. All the stuff is
displayed on the screen, but the mouse won't move, I can't zap X, or
even switch to the console. I have to power off. This is particularly
frustrating because I haven't even loaded flash (or for that matter
firefox) yet.

Windows and linux (ubuntu, with the nvidia driver) work great on this
same hardware, so I'm pretty thoroughly convinced that the problem is
with freebsd/current somewhere. In addition to the -current partition I
also installed amd64 8.1-RELEASE so I'll give that a go next, but I
wanted to ask here first if anyone else was having problems on -current.

Doug

--

Breadth of IT experience, and    |   Nothin' ever doesn't change,
depth of knowledge in the DNS.   |   but nothin' changes much.