Re: [RFC] More meaningful information about ENOEXEC for kldload(8)

From: Garrett Cooper <gcooper_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 17:53:36 -0700
On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Doug Barton <dougb_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 10/25/2010 13:33, Ivan Voras wrote:
>>
>> (except if the message is changed to say "please look at the kernel
>> syslog messages to find out the real reason for this failure")
>
> Thinking about Garrett's response as well, this may be the best way to go.

    Well.. I'm not saying the current output is the best, but I just
don't want to dig a deeper hole that will further confuse people, as
some users may get even more confused with additional details.

> At this point I'm also not concerned about waiting for an ideal solution.
> IMO an incremental change here would be most welcome.

    Wouldn't noting this in the manpage be sufficient?
    I ran into this `item' (:)..) today after a power outage because
nvidia-driver was built against different kernel headers, and it
prints out the error clear as day on /dev/console, so I'm tempted to
say that documenting the behavior is enough as long as it's clear that
that is in fact the behavior that the user is dealing with :).
Thanks!
-Garrett