Re: [RFC] More meaningful information about ENOEXEC for kldload(8)

From: Garrett Cooper <gcooper_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 18:34:31 -0700
On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 6:06 PM, Xin LI <delphij_at_delphij.net> wrote:

> On 10/25/10 14:15, Doug Barton wrote:
>> On 10/25/2010 13:33, Ivan Voras wrote:
>>> (except if the message is changed to say "please look at the kernel
>>> syslog messages to find out the real reason for this failure")
>>
>> Thinking about Garrett's response as well, this may be the best way to
>> go. At this point I'm also not concerned about waiting for an ideal
>> solution. IMO an incremental change here would be most welcome.
>
> I'm thinking about the attached patch which turns printf(9) to
> uprintf(9) call.

    Err... that would cause problems if someone was reading the syslog
output as it would no longer be logged (from uprintf(9)):

     The uprintf() function outputs to the current process' controlling tty,
     while printf() writes to the console as well as to the logging facility.

    I personally like reading syslog output more than I do like
reading the console because messages can get lost on the console
quicker :/... Is there a hybrid option?
Thanks!
-Garrett